Friday 27 December 2013

Christmas 1944, Belgium and Holland

Christmas 1944 found John in better spirits, being part of the inexorable Allied advance through France, Belgium and Holland and eventually into Germany.  He was in Holland at this time, but making frequent visits back to Belgium, including beautiful Malines / Mechelen.

The picture below is of John walking through the streets of Malines with Karel Denckens, the keeper of the Museum, with whom John struck up a great friendship.  As I grew up, he told me what lovely people the Belgians and Dutch were, something that was confirmed for me this year during two visits to Belgium.



Dearest Mum


            Quite fittingly, I received your parcel this evening, & would like to say how much I appreciate your kindness in including so many things that will help to enliven what is now a very quiet sort of existence.  Never thnk, for a moment, that your parcels could ever be “poor”.  Your taste is too fine, your heart too full.  Regarding the “Alexanders”, you may always send me things you feel led to send.  I’ve got a good hymn-book here “The Psalms & Church Hymnary”, published for the Church of Scotland, & hardly think I’m entirely cut off from religious contact.  Nevertheless, Alexanders brings back pleasant memories of former days.  The toilet bag arrived in a very sticky condition, possibly due to its late incarceration in the parcel.  I hope exposure to air will correct the stickiness. The diary was only slightly bent & is now in “working order”.

            This has been a quiet Xmas, quietly enjoyable.  I lay in bed this morning until half past nine, the Sgt-Major & Sgt Griffiths bringing my breakfast to me.  I was washed & shaved at 12 o’clock!  This afternoon I tried on some skates but quickly found that skating was an art which would take me a long time to master, as I constantly inclined towards to prone position.  There were about a hundred skaters on the frozen lakes & flooded fields, & I must say the picture looked very Christmassy with frost-whitened fields & tress as a background, & a clear sun above.  One or two children had wee toboggans & were colourfully dressed (the girls at any rate), some wearing clogs.  All very sweet.

            We had our Xmas dinner at half past three, which included tinned Turkey, pork, Xmas pudding & an orange, besides the usual things.  It was quite good, but hardly up to the old pre-war home standard!  Another thing totally lacking this Xmas is the wireless.  We have several in the unit, but the unit is dispersed in many buildings, no wireless set being in this one.  The broadcast of carols gives one the Xmas spirit like nothing else.

            The bag, please make it shoulder type.  White string will do famously.

            Your recital of the amateur sweep’s efforts to dislodge his brush & rods reads like a comic opera, but I guess you didn’t laugh an awful lot when the soot was circulating around & you were shivering.  Anyway, I hope that no tools were lost in that operation.

 
            I thought I remembered one of your letters indicating that Pansy might accompany Dad to Hereford.  Apparently I was mistaken.

            You must let me know what can be done regarding my expected leave in Jan (21st).  Do you think that you can conveniently travel to Colchester?  Surely it’s not seeing so much activity round that part lately? 

            And now I’m growing a wee bit tired, so rather than bore you with a load of junk I think I’ll shut up.

            I hope you’ve had an excellent time with Dad

            From your one & only

            John xxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment