Tuesday 24 December 2013

Christmas 1941. Leyswood, Sussex


Christmas 1941 found John near Tunbridge Wells, on standby to embark for service overseas.  This letter was written on 30th December, 1941.
 
As the old year is quietly dying, I would like to thank you, Dad & the others of your `brood’ for your kindness, your thoughtfulness, your prayers, & for your deeply – appreciated expressions of love throughout the year.  I wish that it were in my power to do something beyond just thanking you, but that is impossible.  But as much as it lies in me to love you, that I do, freely & fully.

   It was very kind of you to send that bumper parcel, dear.  I have by no means exhausted the `goodies’, which were in excellent condition on arrival, Xmas day.  Especially enjoyable were the mince pies & coconut ice which I have consumed.  I’m now engaged in mopping up Dad’s rock, which the chaps are agreed tastes very nice.

 

            And now Marjorie has sent me a parcel which I haven’t been able to open yet though I got it yesterday.  Today the chess set has arrived.  Thanks dear for posting it so promptly.

 

            And now to turn to your letters.

 

 

            Cox is the only C.O. [Conscientious Objector] in my room.  Nobody preferred the RAMC.  They were all conscripted into it, after most of them had stated preference for the R.AF..

 

   

 

            Wasn’t it lovely for you to have Iris, Walter & the children with you this Xmas as well as Tommy?  A good things have endings in this life, so you are once more on your own (not really, eh?)

 

            I’ve read Benham’s interesting notes on the name of John.  A common name, forsooth!

 


            And now I shall have to tell you something about myself.  On Xmas day we requisitioned a lorry for Tunbridge Wells, which took us to the Vale Royal Meth. Church for the service.  The minister spoke on “ Thanks be unto God for the Unspeakable Gift” with real understanding.  The carols, too, were quite enjoyed.

 

            Xmas dinner was served by the Officers & Senior N.C.O.’s & consisted of turkey, pork, potatoes, brussel sprouts, apple sauce, Xmas pudding & custard, beer (or mineral) & biscuits.  The tables were decorated with table cloths, paper serviettes, vases of holly, & twisted coloured papers along the centre of the tables.  Balloons were around the walls & holly was all over the dining hall.  Quite a good show, don’t you think.

 

            There was a band on the platform & one or two people sang or gave `turns’.  In the afternoon I went for a short walk with Paul Gully & returned to a decent tea with celery, mince pie etc.  There was no bus or train service operating Xmas day, so I couldn’t get out. I spent the evening in my room.  Boxing day morning I did some work in the office, then in the late afternoon went to Tunbridge Wells where I played chess in the St. John’s Parish Hall.  Saturday evening I went to Crowborough.  Getting about what?  On Sunday afternoon I went again to T.W. to the Meth Church where the service was conducted by a layman who spoke on Ps 78 7.

 

            Last night we had to do some blancoing, the Assistant Director of Medical Services inspecting us this morning.  He’s a Colonel.  The unit spewed up some of its local talent in a home-made concert which was sparsely attended owing to the blancoing.  I went to it, & when they asked for volunteers to act with script a five minute melodrama with a hero, heroine & villain, in the old-fashioned style, I took the part of the villain, Herman was the old man, Paul, the heroine, Cecil the hero & Timmy Blacklock the constable.  We made a distinct hit.  Then the show ended.

 

            Having observed Norman Hutchings in the Canteen at the rear of his church, I would like to say that whatever his faults, he’s evidently a very dear man, speaking to the soldiers & inviting them to the services.  His manner too, is quietly charming & he is so very handsome – again in a quiet way.  I think he must have a tough time with some of the cigarette-smoking women who help in his canteen.  Yes, he’s a good man with, I’m sure, a great faith in God.

 

            Before I forget, please rest assured that I will keep you fully informed as to my actions in the future, as far as reposes in my power to do so.

 

            I’ve just opened up the chess set.  The box was smashed into six pieces, but this can be put right.  You were quite right in not sending the board, dear.  There are several here that will do more conveniently.

 

            Regarding your letter to the press, I endorse what you have written, though you will find a large section of the church in disagreement.  In the middle ages, as you know, Nativity & other religious plays were enacted, portraying the Infant Christ.

 

            Again, consider the pictures of Christ in the famous art galleries of the word, where His Face is the likeness of the artist’s model, men portraying the Divine.  Consider the countless illustrations on text-cards, which is a mild form of that representation protestants most despise, the sculptured Christ.  I’m we aren’t as spiritual as we should be, for we seem to require some pictorial or material aid to attain the conception of the Divine that will enable us to reverence & worship Him.

 

            If the part the actor took was a purely speaking non-acting one, then I don’t think we should grumble, but I must confess that a man’s portrayal of the God-life can be nothing but odious & disgusting.

 


 

            As for the Daily Telegraph, you must remember that the Editor receives hundreds of letters a day, which means he selects about five of the greatest interest  & rejects the others.  A London daily isn’t exactly so generous with its space as a provincial paper.  In answer to your question as to what I think of your letter I think it is sensible & well-expressed apart from anything else, & does you credit.

 
 

            Iris E. has written in complimentary terms of the book by Capt. Mash A.D. Corps.  I was reading it last night & haven’t finished  it.  It’s good in every way & I want to thank you very much for buying it for me.  The account is truly a wonderful testimony to the amazing way in which God undertakes in all situations. [This is the book highlighted in a previous post, `Up from the Gates']

 

            As this letter has to be posted this afternoon,  I’ll bid you good-bye for the nonce, with lots of love & kisses.  God bless.

 

            Yr devoted son

 

            John xxxxxxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment