Friday 27 December 2013

Christmas 1942

By this point my father was in North Africa as part of the advance against Rommel's forces following the Battle of El Alamein in October.  This Christmas letter contains very little `Christmassy' feel compared to 1940 and 1941.  He did manage to send a Christmas card from Egypt.





Dearest Mum


            You will be glad to learn that the `Golden Grain’ diary arrived quite safely at Xmas.  I am sure that it will prove of good use during this year ahead of us; so many thanks, dear.

 
            I was agreeably shocked when I first read of your patriotic exploits in the field.  Your health, presumably, has not been impaired by your stay in the West Country, for the task of gathering in the potato crop, I should imagine, is somewhat arduous, and one that even I might view with disfavour.  The country, though doubtlessly ignorant of the fact, will remain forever in your debt. In Herbert Morrison’s words, “Keep at it!”

 
            Thanks for your letter of Nov 4th.  Yes I recall clearly the circumstances in which my letter of 25th June was written.  Letters in those days were a joy to pen, for time there was in which to exercise the grey cells.

 
            Regarding your remarks on the unspirituality of fellow mortals, whilst agreeing with every word written, I would yet say that I have long ceased to be surprised by the unresponsiveness of people to the higher conceptions of life. Having seen so often the selfish indifference of one person to another’s needs, it is not to be wondered at that where material obligation are ignored spiritual obligations should be scorned.  I am afraid that you would die of a broken heart should dwell too long & deeply in consideration of the feelings & diseases of the human soul.  How few are those who esteem others before themselves, who are selflessly disinterested!


            In looking through my letters I find one that to my knowledge has remained unanswered, the one of Oct 21st enclosing a Xmas card.  Thanks so much for your kind thought, dear.


            I don’t think that mail is lost by plane crashes.  Published records show that mail which is sent by all air routes is always safely delivered.
 

            All today a terrific wind has whipped up & sustained a sand-storm of great violence, & once or twice it looked as though our humble dwelling would take off.

 

            One thing deserving of mention is the extreme ruddiness of my health.  One may pardonably marvel at the fact that not once during the past twelve months have I reported sick.  When one considers that for the first ten months of Army life, sickness had gripped me for nine & a half months of that period, the health – giving virtue of the desert cannot be denied.

 

            Well, dear, I have reached the end of this letter, so will close with my love & assurances of prayer for your well-being.

 

            Your loving son

 

            John xxxxxxx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment